Women at a Wedding

Women at a Wedding
These ladies were guests at the tribal wedding of Thokozani and Ngoblie in July of 2008. Their joyous smiles say it all.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Last Day

Sunday July 25, 2010

Sunday was our last in Swaziland. It is always so sad to say goodbye, and it seems with each passing visit it becomes harder. To come to know people on such an intimate level, to share their stories and to be a part of their lives is indeed an honor and a privilege, and I always leave with the wonder of if we shall ever meet again. I try not to think in those terms. I have never left Swaziland with thoughts that I’ll never return, nor have I committed in my heart to definitely return. A trip such as this is difficult on so
We started the day with church service. Once again the powers that be (Make Janice) directed that I bring the word of God. I think it is ironic that one who continues to struggle to define his own faith is repeatedly asked to speak in the Zionist church. I think it assumed that since I am male and older, that I somehow would have something to impart of spiritual profundity, but luckily, after the all night vigil, most people were nodding and some were nearly falling out of their chairs. Again, I was brief and if I committed any breaches in protocol no one seemed to be awake enough to notice.
After service the first round of goodbyes commenced. I will always be grateful for the honor bestowed upon us by the congregation and we have developed friendships that will last a lifetime, irrespective of time and distance. Babe (now Bishop) Mkhonta insisted we stop by his homestead for jut a few moments, and we did so. He offered a song and a blessing for our journey. He is such a kind and honorable man. I just hope that being the Bishop doesn’t prove too stressful for him.
The next order of business was to stimulate the economy of Swaziland one last time, so in the remaining days of daylight we stopped at the market to empty our pockets and fill our suitcases.
Back at the hotel, the core group of many of our closest friends stopped by, which has almost become a tradition, Thokozani, his wife Ngobeli, Vuyo, Bela and Sandile. Of course when more than two Swazi’s get together singing breaks out, and so it was. There we were, all eleven of us and our five friends singing and dreading the time we must say goodbye. But alas, we did, and it was difficult. I am so grateful to have again had this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment